Sources: Gannett set to end wage freeze as promised

Discuss anything related to news from or about Gannett.

Sources: Gannett set to end wage freeze as promised

Unread postby Gannettoid » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:22 am

Gannett is expected to keep its promise by lifting a wage freeze one year after its implementation, multiple sources have told Gannettoid.com.

The company announced in March 2009 the freeze would last from April 1 until March 31 for all U.S. Community Publishing employees. The move is in line with what division president Bob Dickey promised when making the announcement, but employees have wondered if a still-lagging economy would extend the freeze.

READ MORE ABOUT THIS AT www.Gannettoid.com/gci011210.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Re: Sources: Gannett set to end wage freeze as promised

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:09 am

Why would Gannett give raises and give furloughs? Is it to boost employee moral?
In the Community Newspaper division last year we received two furloughs — which is a 4% pay cut. Now with another furlough in 2010 that is a 6% pay cut. We really are NOT getting a raise. Comments?.

Unread postby SMALLVILLE » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm

I thought the same thing....why have furloughs if you can afford to start giving out raises? Or are the raises just for the higher ups? I will be laid off in May so I could care less about raises...I just like to keep my job and my paycheck.
SMALLVILLE

Unread postby Mimi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 pm

I listed to part of the broadcast today. He did not say they were going to give back raises. Actually, he said a whole lot of nothing. They won't give back the raises. They get to keep the money to pay for their bonuses. Now if they were really interested in keeping this a viable company, they would be trying to keep the experienced workers, instead of freezing the wages of the worker bees, they should be freezing the bonuses of the managers who don't do much, anyway. The worker bees are way underpaid, why make them suffer? Because the ones on the top are bottom feeders, that's why. You notice bonuses aren't frozen, don't you? What does it matter if your wage is frozen if you still get your six figure bonus? Huh? And did you hear how Pence handled the broadcast? What a b*** kisser! Nauseating!
Mimi

Unread postby furloughed fury » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am

The rumor of the return of raises was mentioned at the last APP staff meeting by the EE.
No doubt that will be to justify corporate giving Craigy and Dicky and the other top dogs raises and bonuses.
furloughed fury

Unread postby Hilldweller » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:49 pm

No sign of raises here. No reviews, no paperwork. Our manager said he would check but haven't heard anything yet . . . too busy.
Hilldweller

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 pm

It's already set in the budgets. Not sure if corporate will send out some directive on this, but as of now, it's believed they do plan to lift the freeze as planned.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Budgeteer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 pm

I've seen the budget at my site. There are no raises budgeted at all. Not sure if it's going to matter if Gannett lifts the freeze if the sites haven't budgeted for pay raises.
Budgeteer

Unread postby Guest » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:50 pm

March 1, 2010
To: All US Community Publishing employees

I am very pleased to let you know that we are lifting the USCP wage freeze, effective April 1.

Thanks to the outstanding efforts across our division, we have been able to continue restructuring our costs, improve our revenue trends and are tracking as we hoped for the first quarter.

Going forward, we will get back into the normal review cycle where people will be eligible for raises based, as always, on performance and contributions to the overall organization.

You all have done a great job getting us off to a very good start this year and I sincerely thank you for all of your support and hard work. As always, please feel free to email me with any questions or ideas about our business. My email is address is rdickey@gannett.com.

Regards,

Bob

Unread postby Gannettoid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks for posting that memo.

READ MORE AT www.Gannettoid.com/wages030110.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Sad when we're happy the news is simply that Gannett is sticking to it word to end something when it first said they would. This shouldn't be a big deal, but I guess it is.

Unread postby Guest » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:07 pm

They're looking for any good news they can deliver to wall street, so they act like this is because they're so strong and its a great announcement.

Return to GANNETT NEWS