Louisville becoming newsroom 'hub'

Discuss anything related to news from or about Gannett.

Louisville becoming newsroom 'hub'

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:14 pm

For the complete story, visit: http://www.Gannettoid.com/louisvilledesk.html

Please discuss this story and share more news here in the forum, or with an e-mail to news@gannettoid.com.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Re: Louisville becoming newsroom 'hub'

Unread postby anonmouse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:07 pm

Woah, some misinformation there.

NewsGate wasn't introduced in Gannett until April of last year, not 2 years ago. Asheville went live in October of last year, and Greenville went live earlier this year. Louisville also switched from their older CCI system over several months, completing the transition in June.

The discussions to consolidate production in Louisville didn't start until a few months ago, but Gannett is consolidating production all over the company ... see Wisconsin papers, upper New York papers, New Jersey papers and Louisiana papers for other examples of copydesk/newsroom production consolidation. If corporate was talking back in November about this, no one at the local sites knew anything about it.
anonmouse

Unread postby beentheredonethat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:34 am

ok, I've always been in circulation operations, didn't care how the paper got to my eager little hands, just that it got there with enough time to meet deadline. Who exactly loses thier job with this type of consolidation?
beentheredonethat

Unread postby Gannettoid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:40 am

anonmouse,

As I understand it, NewsGate went live in Asheville in September or August of last year. It was introduced two years ago at Nexpo in Washington. Just because something didn't go live for use at a certain point, doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Louisville started planning for this around that time. Just because that news wasn't more broadly released, doesn't mean the planning hadn't begun already.

When the story says the process began two years ago, remember, the process can start small and take a long time before looking like the finished product.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby exgannettoid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:05 am

beentheredonethat:

The types of jobs eliminated in this type of consolidation include the people who layout and design the pages of the newspaper. And some of the copy editors who take a reporter's work and polish it into something really readable and good.

There are hundreds of moving pieces to a daily newspaper, and these are the folks who package it into something that's appealing, and make the stories fit the holes on the page after the ads have been dummied in.
exgannettoid

Unread postby anonagain » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:01 pm

What's especially interesting about this is that this appears to be consolidating from one group to another. I can't find an updated list of groupings, but I'd be surprised if NC and SC are in the Interstate group instead of the South group.

I believe--and again may be mistaken--that previous consolidations have all happened within the same general groups. (Massive consolidation like call centers an exception, of course) Makes sense -- group presidents have more to gain when whacking within their own areas.

So this brings up several questions:
1). Why Louisville as opposed to say, Nashville, which is closer in proximity to both Asheville and Greenville?

2). Why Asheville and Greenville instead of some other smaller papers in the Interstate group?

3). What sort of effect does time zone have? Does it make sense to have folks on the same time zone (i.e, with deadlines all occurring in the same general time frame) or scatter these consolidations across the country to take advantage of any perceived downtime in copy desks/production areas. Or are some of the papers getting way earlier deadlines?

Louisville is a location for one of the call centers, too and received state incentives for bringing additional jobs to Kentucky.

All of it is enough to make one wonder.
anonagain

Unread postby Gannettoid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:14 pm

anonagain,

I have a list from this month with contacts by group and Asheville and Greenville are still listed in the East group. Louisville is Interstate.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby exgannettoid » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:15 pm

When this project was started, all three papers were in the Interstate Group. You are correct, now ASH and GRE are in the East Group.
exgannettoid

Unread postby Gannettoid » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:45 pm

More information is available here: http://www.Gannettoid.com/dm0811.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Return to GANNETT NEWS