Publisher confirms Westchester is profitable

Discuss anything related to news from or about Gannett.

Publisher confirms Westchester is profitable

Unread postby Gannettoid » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:23 am

WEEK OF CUTS, FURLOUGHS FOR GANNETT
After a brief hiatus from news of more cutbacks, Gannett had a busy week with announcements of furloughs, layoffs and more consolidation.

The company announced Tuesday that the staffs of USA Weekend and USA Today would both be cut and then combine. The company announced later that day that non-union employees in its community newspaper division must take a one-week furlough in the first quarter of 2010.

The week wrapped with the late-Thursday news from Michael Fisch, publisher of The Journal News in Westchester, N.Y., that the paper would outsource its printing to Rockaway, N.Y.

Fisch, who confirmed to Gannettoid.com that The Journal News is profitable, said the move will lead to the layoffs of 166 full- and part-time employees.

READ MORE AT http://www.Gannettoid.com/gci1207.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Re: Publisher confirms Westchester is profitable

Unread postby glad 2 B gone » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:52 am

Profitable does not mean respectable. I'm glad I left with my professional integrity AND most of my online clips.
glad 2 B gone

COOKIES ANYONE?

Unread postby more Hmmmmmmmm » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:50 am

"The company announced Tuesday that the staffs of USA Weekend and USA Today would both be cut and then combine."

First, the newspaper editions were set in Cookie Cutter Style, and NOW it seems like their different companies are being Cookie Cut and then Combined. Must be nice to have all that cookie dough but at least you all will know who sent you the Christmas Cookies!
:lol: :lol: BWA-HA HA HA HA HA! :lol: :lol:
more Hmmmmmmmm

Unread postby Topsail » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Just a quick note gang, my former boss called me last week (cut with all others in July) told me my old job was back and ready for me. Just a couple of things; less salary, more hours, no benis, more work and oh by the way it is a temporary position now!
Topsail

Unread postby onlooker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Topsail wrote:Just a quick note gang, my former boss called me last week (cut with all others in July) told me my old job was back and ready for me. Just a couple of things; less salary, more hours, no benis, more work and oh by the way it is a temporary position now!

What department did you work in? Even temps have benefits!
onlooker

Unread postby observer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:18 am

As a former and very disgruntled ex-Gannett employee, it is Oh so satisfying to sit back and watch this sad, miserable, pathetic, pitiful little piss-ant of a company implode from its inempt, ignorant and totally self-absorbed and smug, arrogant leadership (if leadership is even a word that descriibes those in Gannet Corp. and at the divisions).

It is like being in heavan watching this train wreck...... and the best part is that the wreck just keeps going on.... and on ... and on.....

So satisfying....
observer

Unread postby Topsail » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Circulation (management) in a southern Gannett group. Sorry i should have said that before.
Topsail

Return to GANNETT NEWS