The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Know any news about this round of layoffs? Discuss it here.

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby thespy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:57 pm

Pub memo says another round is coming. Almost certain to be news since that's more difficult to unravel...
thespy

Unread postby pinsandneedles » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:15 am

All that memo does is fuel the anxiety and stress that have dominated Westchester for the past few weeks. Why don't they just tell us what's going on and when the next round of layoffs will be?
pinsandneedles

Unread postby watching » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:43 am

This memo and an earlier one, from what I gather, talked about restructuring. Sounds like the same deal as 20 years ago, when the Journal News became local to get more ads until the eight or however many newspapers overlapped one another's stories.

How many times can you mix it up before it becomes unrecognizable?
watching

Unread postby keypad » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:31 pm

watching wrote:This memo and an earlier one, from what I gather, talked about restructuring. Sounds like the same deal as 20 years ago, when the Journal News became local to get more ads until the eight or however many newspapers overlapped one another's stories.

How many times can you mix it up before it becomes unrecognizable?

The tally from a previous post said 9 of 807 yet many more people than that have been laid off from the Journal News. Aside from the newsroom the building is almostly ghostly.
keypad

Unread postby Gannettoid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:50 pm

I was confirming the 57 were in addition to the layoffs, not part of. They are separate, but I'm still curious if it was 6 or 9 laid off in July. Either way, I'll update that tonight.

Thanks for the check.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby thespy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:14 pm

News organization was once the strongest in Gannett and able to kick NYT in the shins once in a while. Losses will mount despite the "restructure". Market won't stand for what is now a wiresheet and advertisers won't pay.

Great talent in the newsroom. Some could be great independent bloggers!
thespy

Unread postby wrtrgal5 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:02 am

Guest wrote:The cuts are coming in the second (possibly first) week in August, which is when the plan will be announced. I am in the dark as well, gossip points to consolidation with the PoJo but with the end of GB, the lights were turned out.

that would be absurd. POK and Westchester are a good hour from each other, and that's only the shortest distance between the two counties. oh, and less people to cover these areas.
wrtrgal5

Unread postby Guest » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:11 pm

I would agree the merger of the PoJo and the Journal News is absurd, except that similar things are happening throughout the chain.

The Rockland paper has more Westchester news than anyone there wants. When Gannett merged the papers great care was taken to reassure the Rockland audience that their paper would still be local, but the old office has closed, the number of Rockland reporters has dwindled and people in Rockland feel like their paper was stolen from them.

Plans are paralyzed until the restructure is unveiled. The office is a ghost town and no one feels safe.

Unread postby wrtrgal5 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:27 pm

Guest wrote:I would agree the merger of the PoJo and the Journal News is absurd, except that similar things are happening throughout the chain.

The Rockland paper has more Westchester news than anyone there wants. When Gannett merged the papers great care was taken to reassure the Rockland audience that their paper would still be local, but the old office has closed, the number of Rockland reporters has dwindled and people in Rockland feel like their paper was stolen from them.

Plans are paralyzed until the restructure is unveiled. The office is a ghost town and no one feels safe.

I was aware folks were let go in Rockland, and at least one Westchester editor was relocated there. Rockland is as different from Westchester as POK is from them both, and to merge would mean losing the individuality Gannett wanted for each of its papers.
wrtrgal5

Unread postby Guest » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Big meeting among the higher-ups (Publisher, EE, ME and DME's) yesterday afternoon. Nobody looked happy coming out of there and nobody was talking. Could today be "The Day"?

Monday meeting

Unread postby Justareporter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:32 pm

I'm very curious about this meeting. Who did you see coming out looking unhappy? Anyone talk to any DMEs?

I am full of curiosity, concern and impatience. We have been waiting a long time to hear about this restructuring and what it will mean.

Is this coming soon? If you are a DME reading this, please share a little of what you know with the rest of us.
Justareporter

Unread postby Gannettoid » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:08 am

Anyone hesitant to post, but wanting to share can e-mail news@gannettoid.com.

You will remain completely anonymous and the information will be shared as you intend it to be.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby anonymooses » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:33 am

The Journal News has been slumping for years. It is truly sad what has happened to this publication. To hear that it is a ghost town makes you wonder what is REALLY happening.
anonymooses

Unread postby Guest » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:56 am

It is hard to imagine morale getting much lower. Please just out with it!

Unread postby Guest » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:46 pm

What a shithole to work at this "newspaper" has become. A bunch of no-talent ass-kissers with no idea what they are doing, running around like chickens with no heads, trying to convince quality, talented, seasoned journalists they know what the fuck they're talking about. They actually believe they are breaking new ground by doing things "nobody else is doing". Proof is in the pudding. They are failing like the incompetents they are. Whatever the restructuring is, if they keep HF, CR, BF, MD and LN around another day, then we are all doomed.

Unread postby Guest » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:11 pm

"HF, CR, BF, MD and LN"... The League of Super Best Friends

Unread postby seasoned » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:22 am

Guest wrote:What a shithole to work at this "newspaper" has become. A bunch of no-talent ass-kissers with no idea what they are doing, running around like chickens with no heads, trying to convince quality, talented, seasoned journalists they know what the fuck they're talking about. They actually believe they are breaking new ground by doing things "nobody else is doing". Proof is in the pudding. They are failing like the incompetents they are. Whatever the restructuring is, if they keep HF, CR, BF, MD and LN around another day, then we are all doomed.

I miss the "good old days" of a real newsroom before there were tweets and blogs and "creative distractions" online. The paper is not as I remember it, the newsroom has strayed far from those days, and it's too bad the pros who were let go aren't able to group together and start their own paper.
seasoned

Unread postby thespy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:11 pm

The shoe just dropped.

70 positions eliminated, including 50 in the newsroom, 20 in advertising. Not sure if this includes the Poughkeepsie job losses from consolidating the news desks. Anyway, lot's of jobs are now up for grabs. Affected employees will "re-apply" for newly redesigned positions.

This will be very disruptive short-term and hard to imagine how productive long-term
thespy

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Does anybody have a memo or more details?
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby guest » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Holy crap! That is a lot to let go at once!

PreviousNext

Return to LAYOFF NEWS (Current round is now at 1,680 layoffs)