The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Know any news about this round of layoffs? Discuss it here.

Re: talented people laid off

Unread postby me too1T » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:32 pm

was there wrote:Heard through the grapevine and from direct sources that familiar (to me) names were gone from the JN both in Rockland and in WP. What a shame. The newsroom today looked bleak and bare, and reporters who were re-hired sat around talking . . . about what? It seemed work was hardly on anyone's mind today. If the walls could talk, they'd be asking, "Now what?"

Yea, pretty sad. The fit will hit the shan for sure next week.
me too1T
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Sick of it all » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 pm

There is no justice when people like LN, CR, LB and HF get to keep there jobs when they are part of the problem. My heart bleeds for the good people that were laid off. I sadly believe there is no future in the Journal News. It's sad to see the powers that be kill what was once a respected local newspaper. To MS, SB and the too many others unfairly let go, best of luck, you deserve better.
Sick of it all
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby newsie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 pm

Would that we could start our own publication. We've got years of experience, contacts, energy and passion for the business.
newsie
 

Brave face is falling

Unread postby Sadandupset » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:19 pm

I've been putting on a brave face for friends, family and colleagues, but tonight it's really starting to hit me what being laid off will mean for my family and future.

We simply can't afford to live in our modest home on just my spouse's salary. What will my child have to give up?

Frugality starts in earnest now.

I cannot afford to waste a penny.

Plus, I am so sad. This is my career! I was (AM!) good at it! Even the editors laying me off offered praise.

Then I blame myself and think what I could have said differently in the interview or been willing to do.

I have to make a plan for Monday or I will go nuts at home.
Sadandupset
 

Starting a local news Web site

Unread postby Reporter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:21 pm

newsie wrote:Would that we could start our own publication. We've got years of experience, contacts, energy and passion for the business.

Does anyone think the JN will be able to go a great job at local news on the Web with their reduced staff?

Is people are really serious, we should talk!

Maybe arrange a meeting...
Reporter
 

Re: Starting a local news Web site

Unread postby newsie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:25 pm

Reporter wrote:
newsie wrote:Would that we could start our own publication. We've got years of experience, contacts, energy and passion for the business.

Does anyone think the JN will be able to go a great job at local news on the Web with their reduced staff?

Is people are really serious, we should talk!

Maybe arrange a meeting...

I'm up for that!!
newsie
 

Re: Starting a local news Web site

Unread postby Guest » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Reporter wrote:
newsie wrote:Would that we could start our own publication. We've got years of experience, contacts, energy and passion for the business.

Does anyone think the JN will be able to go a great job at local news on the Web with their reduced staff?

Is people are really serious, we should talk!

Maybe arrange a meeting...

I doubt local news will survive, and when that happens, there goes advertising. If I was a business, why would I advertise in a paper that completely ignores my community? What's the point in that?

Instead of letting go talented people who know the community, why didn't Fisch cut his own bottom line dollar and severe some salaries up top? Rhetorical at best.
Guest
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Guest » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 am

Sick of it all wrote:There is no justice when people like LN, CR, LB and HF get to keep there jobs when they are part of the problem. My heart bleeds for the good people that were laid off. I sadly believe there is no future in the Journal News. It's sad to see the powers that be kill what was once a respected local newspaper. To MS, SB and the too many others unfairly let go, best of luck, you deserve better.

Thanks- SB
Guest
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby WestchesterAnonymous » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:15 am

After going thru two furloughs this year, they could have easily taken a look at two other options which would have been cutting salaries or reduction in hours. I know to some these may seem like empty words but it may have saved some of the hard working and talented people across the board (I was one of the people let go two weeks ago.)

I did not have the opportunity to speak with more people before I was let go; however, I can tell you there is life after The Journal News and Gannett. There are better things out there awaiting! For those of you who just received bad news within the last two days I wish you all the best. For those of you still @ the paper who actually care about their work and give a damn good luck to you as well. I can not envision a paper that does not service the community to its fullest potential being able to survive and that is the sad truth. As someone posted earlier, who is the advertiser that wants to spend money on a product that is constantly losing subscribers? Go ahead Gannett outsource to your heart's content...
WestchesterAnonymous
 

Re: Starting a local news Web site

Unread postby newsie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 am

Reporter wrote:
newsie wrote:Would that we could start our own publication. We've got years of experience, contacts, energy and passion for the business.

Does anyone think the JN will be able to go a great job at local news on the Web with their reduced staff?

Is people are really serious, we should talk!

Maybe arrange a meeting...


This thread has more than 10,000 hits! The difficult part of a layoff - in addition to all that goes with it - is disassociation from colleagues and friends once it happens. And if the number of page views here is any indication, we do need to talk with each other and maybe meet face-to-face.
newsie
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby newsbug » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:58 am

I opted out from the editorial lottery, and as a previous writer said, there must be a better place away from Big Daddy Gannett.

A dependable income is important, but so is respect and job satisfaction. And how dependable is an income at The Journal News? The cuts, I think, will just keep on coming.

I also agree with an earlier post that said it's difficult to be cut off from long-time colleagues and friends. Lets all keep in touch!

It's also important, I think, to strive not to harbor ill feelings. As my late father told me when I was growing up, if you hold bad feelings against another person, you only hurt yourself.
newsbug
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Guest » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:14 am

I also opted out of the lottery and do believe everything happens for a reason. When a job I love - and once considered fun - becomes tedious, then it's time for me to move on. And like newsbug said, respect and satisfaction are important. I'm talking about self-respect as well as respect for the organization.

How will we keep in touch with one another?
Guest
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby A Guest » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:55 am

Judging from the time stamps on the last 6 posts, no one is getting any sleep!
A Guest
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby longtime_newsguy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:02 am

I could take exception to some overly ruthless decisions that seemed role-based -- good people who happened to be assigned to areas that needed cutbacks -- but generally they did a good job of leaving the core news operation intact, including salaries. It's an upside surprise. Though I hear some reporters were so skeptical of that, that they opted out rather than chance drastic pay cut.
longtime_newsguy
 

"core news operation"

Unread postby Surprised » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:16 am

longtime_newsguy wrote:I could take exception to some overly ruthless decisions that seemed role-based -- good people who happened to be assigned to areas that needed cutbacks -- but generally they did a good job of leaving the core news operation intact, including salaries. It's an upside surprise. Though I hear some reporters were so skeptical of that, that they opted out rather than chance drastic pay cut.


I understand you are being positive, and that's great. I am glad many people have kept their salaries and jobs and I wish them well. However, it's upsetting to hear that a colleague doesn't consider me to have been part of the "core news operation." I certainly considered myself "core" on all the late nights I worked to finish breaking stories or craft enterprise packages.
Surprised
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Gannettoid » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:53 am

User avatar
Gannettoid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:54 am

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby newsie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:17 am

Gannettoid wrote:There is more posted at http://www.Gannettoid.com/westchester0828.html

Forty-one people opted out . . . what does that tell you about the faith and trust they - myself included - put into this company? NOT!
newsie
 

Re: "core news operation"

Unread postby someone » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:38 am

Surprised wrote:
longtime_newsguy wrote:I could take exception to some overly ruthless decisions that seemed role-based -- good people who happened to be assigned to areas that needed cutbacks -- but generally they did a good job of leaving the core news operation intact, including salaries. It's an upside surprise. Though I hear some reporters were so skeptical of that, that they opted out rather than chance drastic pay cut.

I understand you are being positive, and that's great. I am glad many people have kept their salaries and jobs and I wish them well. However, it's upsetting to hear that a colleague doesn't consider me to have been part of the "core news operation." I certainly considered myself "core" on all the late nights I worked to finish breaking stories or craft enterprise packages.

I guess I'm not part of it, either, although I covered meeting and communities, the "local news" Gannett once prided itself on . . . oh well, pride goes before a fall, they say.
someone
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby TheEndofTJN » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:40 pm

The cuts are really hard to understand, some good people were saved but many were let go. Many that do not deserve jobs, still have them such as upper management and their loyal followers that will jump through hoops and drink the kool-aid they are serving.
Some of the cuts were do to personal grudges that LN held against people that called him out in the past and showed his real ignorance. LN is also threatened and scared by regular employees that excel and know more than him. He has bullshitted his way up the newsroom ladder in the time he has been there. In return circulation has plummeted in that time. How did HF and CR let this person destroy the paper? How did you just sit there and give such an incompetant person so much power in the newsroom?
TheEndofTJN
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby sad » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:51 pm

TheEndofTJN wrote:The cuts are really hard to understand, some good people were saved but many were let go. Many that do not deserve jobs, still have them such as upper management and their loyal followers that will jump through hoops and drink the kool-aid they are serving.
Some of the cuts were do to personal grudges that LN held against people that called him out in the past and showed his real ignorance. LN is also threatened and scared by regular employees that excel and know more than him. He has bullshitted his way up the newsroom ladder in the time he has been there. In return circulation has plummeted in that time. How did HF and CR let this person destroy the paper? How did you just sit there and give such an incompetant person so much power in the newsroom?


I keep thinking of a cartoon finale, where the screen is being painted save for one small door; a hand reaches out from the inside to close the door, and then the screen is blank. It's like painting oneself into a corner - where to go? This is the end of the JN as I knew and respected it.
sad
 

PreviousNext

Return to LAYOFF NEWS (Current round is now at 1,680 layoffs)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
Most users ever online was 162 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:49 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest