The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Know any news about this round of layoffs? Discuss it here.

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Hey » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:28 pm

GANNETTOID-

Any truth to the rumor that TJN building in White Plains will be sold and printing of paper outsourced to a non Gannett paper in Middletown ??

Any news on more layoffs and furloughs ???
Hey
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Not Smart » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:39 pm

A memo went out to the few people left on the ad staff at TJN before Thanksgiving from the clueless VP of advertising stating that no none could leave early the day before Thanksgiving, we pay you for a full day so you work a full day. Makes no sense how many sales were made the day before Thanksgiving especially later in trhe day. All other companies were gone. TJN ad staff which there were only a few sat around looking at each other.

THe Vp should learn that just because you think you have power does not mean you should always use it. Sometimes when you give a little you get alot more in return. Not letting staff out a few hours early on Thanksgiving eve was another poor decision by a napopleon type leader who in just a few months has failed. I guess the same full days will be in effect for christmas and New Year's Eve. :roll:
Not Smart
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby person » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:16 pm

Not Smart wrote:A memo went out to the few people left on the ad staff at TJN before Thanksgiving from the clueless VP of advertising stating that no none could leave early the day before Thanksgiving, we pay you for a full day so you work a full day. Makes no sense how many sales were made the day before Thanksgiving especially later in trhe day. All other companies were gone. TJN ad staff which there were only a few sat around looking at each other.

THe Vp should learn that just because you think you have power does not mean you should always use it. Sometimes when you give a little you get alot more in return. Not letting staff out a few hours early on Thanksgiving eve was another poor decision by a napopleon type leader who in just a few months has failed. I guess the same full days will be in effect for christmas and New Year's Eve. :roll:

They did the same thing in August when they told us we had to be on the payroll until the very last day in order to qualify for TPP. It all looks good on paper. Maybe.
person
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby hey » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:39 pm

I know i was there. i miss the place and the people i worked with but in the long run I will be better off espcially since it seems like the doors are about to close for good. Anyone know if the for sale sign went up yet.

Soon amemo will go out to the few remaining employees to keep their desks clean to make a good impression for potential buyers. Maybe they'll hold an open house :lol:
hey
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby gaming? » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:26 am

A new feature on the top part of the Lohud.com home page, an online game called SUDOKU. WTF is this!!, what the heck does this have to do with news or information? How fitting though, right next to Metromix. Is this the thinking behind the restructuring? to fill the website with as much useless stuff as possible that does not require manpower so we can layoff more people before Christmas.
gaming?
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby hmm » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:34 am

gaming? wrote:A new feature on the top part of the Lohud.com home page, an online game called SUDOKU. WTF is this!!, what the heck does this have to do with news or information? How fitting though, right next to Metromix. Is this the thinking behind the restructuring? to fill the website with as much useless stuff as possible that does not require manpower so we can layoff more people before Christmas.

Could be an ad ploy to get more hits to the website. Rack up those numbers before year's end!
hmm
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby reader » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:09 am

I heard that a lot of the local high schools are posting their basketball schedules on facebook because TJN had so many mistakes listing times and dates for football games
reader
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby again » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Did someone say furlough?
again
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby stillthere » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:43 pm

So they make us beg for our jobs in August so they can make a more efficient "sustainable" news organization and what do we get in December? Furloughs. Idiots. All of them. Especially BF - stupidest person in the place. Liars.
Last edited by Gannettoid on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cut final part to delete attack.
stillthere
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby unreal » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:22 pm

For a place that invented "beyond the pale" (You're fired! You're hired! Oops too many people booked outta here, you're rehired!) this is really beyond the beyond...Furloughs AGAIN...Seriously unreal.
unreal
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:16 am

stillthere wrote:So they make us beg for our jobs in August so they can make a more efficient "sustainable" news organization and what do we get in December? Furloughs. Idiots. All of them. Especially BF - stupidest person in the place. Liars.


No, No, No... Not BF- It's "The Scarecrow" (RW in Photo) as in "If I only had a brain". Quite possibly the dumbest man on the planet.
Guest
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby theothershoe » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:26 pm

We announced tonight to our production and packaging employees that we would be closing our printing and packaging operations here at One Gannett Drive in early March 2010. The plant closure affects 166 full and part time employees in production and packaging whose positions will be eliminated when the plant closes.

We will begin printing our newspaper, as well as the Poughkeepsie Journal and other commercial clients, at a printing plant in Rockaway, New Jersey effective with all editions dated March 8, 2010.

While not an easy decision to make, this will allow us to save operating expenses associated with the printing and packaging center, and allow us to avoid major capital investments going forward. It will also give us the opportunity to consider other options for our current facilities.

As a result of this action, we’ll also be taking steps to sell our office and warehouse facility and the associated property located in Harrison. Our 232,000 square foot building and the 25 acres of land are simply more than our operations require. We will explore a sale with a lease back option for the space we need, as well as consider relocating our offices in the immediate area. The commercial real estate firm CB Richard Ellis has been retained by Gannett to manage this process.

These two actions complete the restructuring of the Westchester newspaper operations which we began earlier this year. This approach will allow us to refocus our capital priorities on our journalism, our products, our sales strategies, and re-energizing our franchise.

I would like to express my gratitude to those employees who have served our company so well who will be affected by these changes.

Since this is a plant closure we have notified the New York State Department of Labor and local political leadership regarding this planned change in our operations.

We will hold an informational meeting Friday morning at 11:00 a.m. in the third floor conference room if you have questions regarding these changes.

Mike Fisch
President & Publisher
theothershoe
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Guest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:27 am

theothershoe wrote:This approach will allow us to refocus our capital priorities on our journalism, our products, our sales strategies, and re-energizing our franchise.

Sorry Mike. Never gonna happen with the managers you have in place here now. Clean house from the top level and rehire (if you can) some of the real talent that you let those incompetents fire last summer. Otherwise just turn out the lights right now and put us out of our misery.
Guest
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby was there » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:41 am

theothershoe wrote:We announced tonight to our production and packaging employees that we would be closing our printing and packaging operations here at One Gannett Drive in early March 2010. The plant closure affects 166 full and part time employees in production and packaging whose positions will be eliminated when the plant closes.

We will begin printing our newspaper, as well as the Poughkeepsie Journal and other commercial clients, at a printing plant in Rockaway, New Jersey effective with all editions dated March 8, 2010.

While not an easy decision to make, this will allow us to save operating expenses associated with the printing and packaging center, and allow us to avoid major capital investments going forward. It will also give us the opportunity to consider other options for our current facilities.

As a result of this action, we’ll also be taking steps to sell our office and warehouse facility and the associated property located in Harrison. Our 232,000 square foot building and the 25 acres of land are simply more than our operations require. We will explore a sale with a lease back option for the space we need, as well as consider relocating our offices in the immediate area. The commercial real estate firm CB Richard Ellis has been retained by Gannett to manage this process.

These two actions complete the restructuring of the Westchester newspaper operations which we began earlier this year. This approach will allow us to refocus our capital priorities on our journalism, our products, our sales strategies, and re-energizing our franchise.

I would like to express my gratitude to those employees who have served our company so well who will be affected by these changes.

Since this is a plant closure we have notified the New York State Department of Labor and local political leadership regarding this planned change in our operations.

We will hold an informational meeting Friday morning at 11:00 a.m. in the third floor conference room if you have questions regarding these changes.

Mike Fisch
President & Publisher

Ah, the old "informational meeting" trick. You ask questions, he evades the answers.
was there
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Mimi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:56 am

From the bottom of my heart, I'm so, so sorry for all those who are losing their jobs and all those left behind. They took our press, too. They took the heart and soul of our paper when they did. :(
Mimi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Former Worker Bee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:51 am

Kudos to Bob for reporting that piece of information on Nov. 26.

I spoke to a few at TJN in the last week about this and there was a lot of skepticism. It just seemed so extreme and where do you put the staff? In a strip mall?

Turns out worst-case scenarios are coming to pass. So perhaps TJN rents space back, but what entity would buy a press in this economy? And if Gannett wanted to sell the building, it should really wait until the local real estate market rebounds. They will lose millions to sell now.

The fact that the press will be so far away opens the door to limiting the printing of TJN to a few days a week. Further marginalization of the property in the market. As if the current product weren't already doing that. A friend of mine's child was on the front page of TJN with her class and, in the cutline, the school's name was spelled incorrectly and listed it in the wrong town.

That Fisch puts the same spin on this move as he did the August layoff -- the staff and the press are dead weight and now we can get back to journalism! -- is sad. A fine property is circling the drain and let's be frank. This is a desperate attempt not to save the paper, but protect the margins. The margins.

The people who said corporate-owned media would destroy journalism, they were right.
Former Worker Bee
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby reporter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:13 am

Former Worker Bee wrote:Kudos to Bob for reporting that piece of information on Nov. 26.

I spoke to a few at TJN in the last week about this and there was a lot of skepticism. It just seemed so extreme and where do you put the staff? In a strip mall?

Turns out worst-case scenarios are coming to pass. So perhaps TJN rents space back, but what entity would buy a press in this economy? And if Gannett wanted to sell the building, it should really wait until the local real estate market rebounds. They will lose millions to sell now.

The fact that the press will be so far away opens the door to limiting the printing of TJN to a few days a week. Further marginalization of the property in the market. As if the current product weren't already doing that. A friend of mine's child was on the front page of TJN with her class and, in the cutline, the school's name was spelled incorrectly and listed it in the wrong town.

That Fisch puts the same spin on this move as he did the August layoff -- the staff and the press are dead weight and now we can get back to journalism! -- is sad. A fine property is circling the drain and let's be frank. This is a desperate attempt not to save the paper, but protect the margins. The margins.

The people who said corporate-owned media would destroy journalism, they were right.


I WISH we could find investors and buy back the paper, rehire those who were laid off, speak with those who left and bring this once-fine newspaper back to life!
reporter
 

Closing of Westchester plant

Unread postby Former staff reporter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:20 am

I want everyone to remember that the publisher, when asked in August about profits, said the paper was PROFITABLE.

That means all of this was for NOTHING.

If the JN had private ownership, they could deal with a few years of LOWER PROFITS. Remember, not even LOSSES, just LOWER PROFITS!!!

Then, when the economy rebounds, there would be a staff, both advertising and editorial, to take advantage of it.

This is actually sickening. Does Gannett want to go out of business? This seems like the way they are going.

Ugh.
Former staff reporter
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby Sad » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:21 am

I wish they would just end the death spiral ....it's truly sad to watch. Talented journalists hobbled by some of the worst management I've ever had to misfortune to witness up close.
Sad
 

Re: The Westchester County (N.Y) Journal News

Unread postby doubletruck » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:30 am

Printing in Rockaway. NJ -- that's The Bergen Record's printing plant I think? Looks like GCI is moving forward in selling off its excess real estate, as I stated a few months back. Expect more of this in the coming months. Also, the mid-Atlantic newspapers will experience more layoff announcements between now and March 30. Tcdude, it's almost time to dive back in. Watch the stock price carefully between now and 12/31 -- selling for tax purposes will drive the price down.
doubletruck
 

PreviousNext

Return to LAYOFF NEWS (Current round is now at 1,680 layoffs)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
Most users ever online was 162 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:49 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest