Anything from Cincy?

Know any news about this round of layoffs? Discuss it here.

Anything from Cincy?

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Posts on the Blog say layoffs are underway in Cincy. Anyone know about this?
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Re: Anything from Cincy?

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:06 pm

It is hitting in Cincy....30min increments.

Enquirer lays off CinWeekly staff

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:29 pm

From: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/s ... ily39.html

The expected layoffs at the Cincinnati Enquirer apparently have hit the staff of CinWeekly, its publication aimed at young readers.

Several Twitter messages and e-mails from Enquirer staffers confirmed that the publication’s staff was laid off Wednesday afternoon. Calls to CinWeekly’s staff members were not answered.

There has been no official announcement about the layoffs or whether the Enquirer will continue to publish CinWeekly.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:32 pm

From the Blog:
I got laid off today in Cincy. The whole Metromix/Cin/Magazine division, including the boss was let go. First off, allow me to say what idiots these people are to let a guy like that go. This is a manager you want to keep because everyone works their XXX off for him. Michael Perry, you're a rockstar, no matter what they did to you.
As for the rest of us, it was pretty brutal. They brought us all in at once and told us together. The HR guy didn't have all the answers. One woman even bust out her last expense form right there. She must have known what was going on. Callinan sat there nodding off as usual, and didn't even give us the whole "you guys are great speech."
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Cincy continues to get hit....production artists, operation manager, inside sales manager. Day one count at least 30.

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Production artists? Can you name names, or at least, initials of which ones have been cut?

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Guest wrote:Production artists? Can you name names, or at least, initials of which ones have been cut?

Become a registered member and you can exchange private messages. That's probably the best way for names.

Your identity will in no way be revealed if you don't want it to be.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:00 pm

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-849-enquirer-layoffs-the-tally-so-far.html

Also, some reporters for the daily newspaper are packing up their desks, although we haven't been able to verify names. There are unconfirmed rumors that a high-profile columnist is one of the victims of the downsizing.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:22 pm

From: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090708/CINCI/90708014/CiN+Weekly+becomes+Metromix

Beginning with the July 15, 2009 edition, CiN Weekly will be Metromix – the premier printed snapshot of all things entertainment that younger adults need to plan their free time.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby reportingstill » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Know of three graphic designers laid off in Cincy's community newspapers division, and an in one Enquirer bureau an ad sales manager, and two bureau ad sales people were laid off.
reportingstill

Unread postby jtenhund » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:01 pm

Got laid off in round 2 back in December and consider myself fortunate. How can those few left standing deal with the stress of knowing their days are numbered too? NOBODY is off limits. It actually was liberating and gave me a chance to go back to being the person I was born to be. I AM AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, like it or not, and sorry, but my creativity will not be CRUSHED!
jtenhund

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby guest » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:36 pm

the citybeat list is not correct.

Unread postby guest » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:37 pm

City Beat is wrong....think he used incorrect Twitter posts as a source.

Unread postby Sleeper » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:40 pm

Who is listed that wasn't laid off? We could avoid all this if Gannett was upfront about this sh*t.
Sleeper

Unread postby residentgeek » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:41 pm

As usual, City Beat is wrong. The list is far from complete - and at least one person is not correct.

That's not to say it won't change tomorrow when it all continues.
residentgeek

Unread postby residentgeek » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Sleeper wrote:Who is listed that wasn't laid off? We could avoid all this if Gannett was upfront about this sh*t.

Its my understanding that James Jackson hasn't been laid off. At least, not yet.
residentgeek

Unread postby WW III » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:42 pm

I don't think anyone anywhere -- City Beat, Gannettoid, Gannett Blog -- is claiming their lists are complete. I agree with what sleeper said!
WW III

Unread postby journalist » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Seeing how Gannett papers want all the details when a factory pulls out of one of their towns, they aren't being too forward about their layoffs and effects. Don't blame the sources trying to provide news for having to use alternative means.
journalist

Next

Return to LAYOFF NEWS (Current round is now at 1,680 layoffs)